Monday, August 28, 2006

Montana Meanderings


Just got back from a week driving around Montana. My friend George loves old places and old things, so the trip was designed with him in mind. We went to Bannack and Virginia City, among a few other out-of-the-way places. What impressed me about Bannack, a once-thriving gold town south and west of Dillon, is that it would seem everyone just up and left their homes - empty - and there they stand to this very day. There is no air conditioning in these 100-year-old buildings, yet they were lovely and cool while it was roasting outside. Here, you can let your imagination run wild wondering about what type of people lived and worked in these places. The Hotel Meade was once a courthouse, and the rooms and halls are empty. But you can imagine if you take just a while to wander. You can almost see finely-dressed women and rough-dressed men descending the grand staircase.
I truly appreciate the opportunity I had to spend time with my friend George in Montana and my friend Neil in Hawaii. It allowed me to see life from a very different perspective.