Thursday, November 01, 2007

Washrooms, toilets and public facilities

Vicki writes: I was in a restaurant in Calgary had to use the "public facilities" or washroom. As I walked up to the doors searching hopefully to find the correct door, I noticed the signs:
Mens and Ladies
It seems to me it should be
Men and Ladies
Or should it be Men's and Ladies'

Vicki: I prefer to use Men, simply because I am a man! Seriously though, the sign should be: Men and Ladies

Of course, in Scotland the signs might read Lads and Lassies

A Catholic cathedral in Saskatchewan has a direction sign to the washrooms. I turned the corner to find the signs Adam and Eve

My father once asked me if I would entertain one of his customer's grandson visiting from Denmark. He spoke no English, just Danish. He wanted to go to a pub for a few drinks so I took him to a nice olde country pub called the Crow & Gate. At some point he realized his fluid level was high and he needed to pee. With what little English he knew, he asked where to go and I pointed in the direction of the washrooms. A few minutes later he returned, with his face beet red, and tried to tell me he went into the wrong place. On checking the washroom door signs, I realized why he might be a little confused with Squires and Damsels

Being "ye olde country" pub, I supposed they could have used Cocks and Hens but someone might have objected to the sign on the men's door!