Thursday, August 14, 2008

Raise a little Paul

Paul Gogo has been with the rock band Trooper since 1996. While on tour in Alberta, I had the chance to visit with him. Just the two of us. You see back in the old days I knew Paul as one of the boys in the First Nanaimo Cub Pack. Through the wonders of the internet, I made contact with Paul a while ago and the first thing he said was: "I remember you teaching me the knot I still use to tie my boat at the dock."

That was then. This is now!

What a blast to sit and visit with someone I haven't seen in 35 years. Yet as we reminisced, I could see in his face and the way he spoke the kid I knew so long ago. Paul responded that I looked the same. Other than weighing twice as much and my hair - what's left of it - is no longer blond, I guess I likely do look much the same and just a little older. We gabbed about other cub pack members and leaders, caught up on some Nanaimo history and about his family.
  • Trivia: Long ago, I attended an event in the Vancouver area where I met a guy named Randy Bachman. At that event was a band named Applejack. Randy apparently liked what he heard and helped them make it big as Trooper. A few years earlier while I was an assistant cub leader, Paul Gogo played his "first gig" at a cub pack talent show.
How cool it was to relax as adults and visit, hundreds of miles and thousands of days from where we met all those years ago. Thanks, Paul. ~ Bagheera